8.02.2010

JOY

There is no doubt that trusting blindly isn't a wise or desirable trait. But I have realized that my hestitancy to trust stemmed from one thing: self-love. I was more worried about the potentially negative impact that giving my trust would have on me rather than the negative impact that withholding the trust was already having on someone else.

I came to this conclusion after hearing an old song that I hadn't heard since I was a child. The chorus says, "Jesus, then Others, than You, what a wonderful way to spell JOY." What simple but powerful words to live by. There are more in Philippians 2:4: "Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." When we are willing to lay down our own interests for the sake of others, we are learning to imitate Christ. And, only in that place, will we find contentment.


Others, Lord, yes others
Let this my motto be;
Help me to live for others,
That I might live like Thee.
- Charlies D. Meigs

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4.8.10

    One of the things I'm learning from our home bible study group is the concept of soul and the wounds that can be afflicted and its affect on our behavior. A betrayal of trust is one such wound that can gouge the soul. We know that it can hurt us and so we go into self-protect mode. But once we learn to grasp the concept that Christ came to heal us, physically and emotionally, then we don't have to be afraid give that trust and love to others. It becomes easier to walk as Christ when we are being transformed under His loving hand.

    Art

    ReplyDelete