8.12.2010

Blog, BLOG, Who has time to blog?!

...When you're getting married in (drumroll, please) 60 days?!

Okay, well I guess I do! I haven't had any (okay, many) of the bridezilla-break-downs you hear about. More than anything, I thank God for that. He has blessed us up one side and down the other over the past few months. For example, my ring was exactly what I always dreamed of and purchased from a sweet Christian lady for 1/5th of the price it would have been in the jewelry store. Then, there's the actual place we're having the wedding: He led us to a Christian family with the most beautiful wedding venue--an old barn in the country, and, again, exactly what I wanted--who told us they wanted us to use it for FREE. They also let Tom hold a summer camp for his youth kids there a few weeks ago--a double blessing! Then, there are the vendors who have discounted their services--some up to $700. It's really been amazing to watch Him work.

When I think back over these things and how he has shown Himself faithful throughout my life, leading and guiding every step of the way, it seems nothing short of foolish to ever doubt that He will take care of me. Still, I have found that to be my number one struggle over the last months. With all of the fiancial duties that come your way when you're starting a household, it's so easy to fret. But, just because it's easy doesn't make it right. (In fact, that's often a good sign, it's not right.)

My mom and I discussed something along these lines last night that made me wonder, "How literal am I willing to take the Bible?"

Matt 6:24-34, says, "No man can serve two masters: ... Ye cannot serve God and [your self]. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on... For after all these things do the Gentiles seek... your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

What? So I'm not supposed to worry about my future, my savings account, my retirement portfolio? It's as easy as that, huh, God?! Boy, I have been making it so much more difficult! Of course, it's easy to say, "Okay, God, I trust you!" when there's still enough money in the bank account. But on the day when there is only pennies...well, I hope I'll remember this...

And, the Mark 12 widow woman who gave her last penny.

5 comments:

  1. 60 days! so exciting! :-)

    Adam and I are learning some of the same lessons about money right now, unfortunately it's not an easy lesson to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in after not having done so for a long time. (Fortunately, most of what I missed was you attending to the real world and not posting...)

    I'm nowhere near as religious or biblically literate as you, but when faced with such things, I try to remember the story about the guy sitting on top of his house in the flood who keeps sending away the rescue boats and helicopters, saying "God will save me."

    After he drowns, he confronts God, asking, "Why didn't you save me from the flood?"

    And God replies "Who do you think sent the rescue boats and helicopters?"

    Maybe it'll mean something to you, or maybe it'll just further complicate things...

    Either way, I wish all good things for you and your betrothed...

    I look forward to reading whatever you choose to share, in whatever quantity you choose to share it... You bring light to whatever you touch (though I'm sure that there are days when it doesn't seem like folks feel that way, and many more when your modesty doesn't permit you to see what those who ain't you see most clearly.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! I just checked in and realized you are getting married!! Congrats! Are you living still in Atlanta post nuptials?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous28.11.10

    I am glad to see you are posting. Do it only just a little if you have only just a little time, but do it. It is a timely encouragement to me.
    It appears to me that there has been obvious spiritual growth since the first days of this blog...child-like obedience to the Father bears fruit...

    J David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous19.4.11

    J David is so right about your spiritual growth and it is such a good thing.

    ReplyDelete