7.25.2009

Attitude Adjustment, Please!

With the recent barrage of news on Obamacare, it's been tempting to give into the idea that the country's going to hell in a handbasket ... down the tubes ... on the fast-track to the crapper. Whatever vernacular you choose, you get the idea: All is not rosy.

But then you see this headline: Christian mother executed in N. Korea for distributing Bibles, and realize how fortunate you are to be in a country where news revolves around health care debates not martyrs.

I'm not saying it's wrong to lend your dissent to government. In fact, I think that's the primary way we can prevent headlines like the one above from becoming a reality here, too. What I am saying is let's keep things in perspective in the process. As we carry on a nation-wide dialogue over health care, as irksome as it is, we should be thankful that such a conversation can even happen.

A dear friend once explained it this way: when she's gridlocked in traffic and tempted to get impatient and angry, she remembers instead how thankful she is to have a car to be stuck in traffic in. That principle can be applied to just about everything we encounter in life. If you are mindful of it, you'll be amazed at how often it shifts your perspective.

I've already had to check myself today. I woke up this morning to the sound of my dad pounding nails into our roof that he's replacing. Less than pleasant at 8 a.m. on a Saturday, but I'm thankful there was a roof over my head to pound.

In other words, it's all in your approach. We can't always change our circumstances, but we can alter our attitudes. This morning, the mom who gave her life for her faith is my wake up call that I need to be mindful to do just that.

4 comments:

  1. I saw that tragic item about North Korea.
    We're nowhere near North Korea, but we're closer than we were six months ago. The Progressive movement that informs so much of our politics on either side of the aisle is, perhaps unintentionally, is setting the stage for a future Kim Jong Il to render the Constitution moot and set about butchering people at will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking, since we've been blessed living in a country where things like your example don't happen, we've become, as a group, too complacent about pretty much everything. Too many of us live in our own little world, within which we can tell ourselves that 'that can't happen here'. Because of this attitude, we've allowed ourselves to let our guard down, and bit by bit, the liberal mindset - reaching a current culmination in the Obama administration - has infiltrated us as efficiently as sin does. Perhaps, as some pundits have said, we need a good shake-up in this country to wake us from our stupor (not that I'm encouraging such a thing, mind you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. And who is that dear friend? :)

    Fabulous post. I'm proud of that thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely. Though I am proud to live in a country where so many Christians DON'T take it all for granted...

    ReplyDelete