6.15.2009

Hello? *Taps Mike* HELLO?

Oh, there you are. All three of you.

As you may have noticed, I'm not too into the blogging thing lately. It's for some pretty heavy reasons - like God's wrecking my world in a really awesome way. I have stories upon stories to tell, and I'll probably share them on this blog some day of how God is moving and working in me and in so many lives around me. As a result, I can't in good conscience sow my time into things that won't have a lasting spiritual effect (i.e. my former bloggey nonsense). There are SO many people capable of writing about politics and random events of life much better than I ever could. That's not my gig. What I long to do is ... well, just keep reading.

The whole thing in Galatians 6:8 -- "For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life" -- really hit home with me this week. While thinkin' on that verse, I realized that only those thing that are of the spirit are eternal. Everything else in this life is "but a vapor."

Think about that.

What we spend 80 percent of our lives doing - the American dream of working our way up the corporate ladder so we can have better houses, better cars, etc - is all "but a vapor." Stops you in your tracks, right? It does me. Investing in things that are going to amount to nothing when I take my last breath is not what God's called us to do. At least, I know for danged sure it's not what He's called me to do.

What God's been pouring into my heart is that our time here is so short, so precious. I'm going to account to God for the time I've spent rambling on about silly things on this blog, talking about things that are neither "true, honest, just, pure, lovely, or of good report" (Phil. 4:8). (Newsflash, Clever S.Logan: God doesn't care if it was "funny at the time.") That's energy I could have put towards sharing the hope and peace that comes only from Him with a troubled world; energy I could have used to show love - the love of Jesus - with people craving to be noticed and loved by someone who truly cares; energy I could have used to share the gospel that will bring sinners down the narrow path of salvation.

Although I'll never get back those hours I've spent on here, it's not too late to change things up. And, I have. Y'all, I've given God the reins to my life. And, it's awesome. Although he's huge, he's the best jockey you'll find. He's directing my life in ways I never dreamed possible. He's given me a burden to share Him - with the big dude on the street corner wearing chains, the lady on the side of the road who had just gotten into an accident, with you on this blog, it doesn't matter. If they've got a soul, they're going to hear about Jesus from me or smell Him on me. I know what you're thinking "smell Him on you?" Sounds weird, I know, but check this out:

"For we are the sweet fragrance of Christ [which exhales] unto God, [discernable alike] among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing." - 2 Corinthians 2:15)
It's incredible that God entrusted US, as Christians, with the responsibility of being the fragrance of Christ, of emitting His love, joy, peace, hope, etc. everywhere we go. Makes you want to be sure you're smelling good all the time doesn't it?

I haven't always smelled good. (I still do have this sweating issue, but I digress). As some of you know, I grew up in church. I was the preacher's kid, which meant I was bound and determined to be as rebellious as possible. I lived some rough years, caused my parents a lot of heartache. Then, for awhile, I lived a "good, clean" life for the most part, but it was a life I was living for me. Everything I was sowing - my money, my time, my thought life - was for myself, not for Him. To advance my cause, not His Kingdom.

Things have changed. I sold out. Jesus isn't only my Savior; He's my Lord. I think it's weirding some people out who knew me before. They're not quite sure what to make of this "new" me, and you may not be either. But you know what? I don't care. I care more about what God thinks about me than what any person thinks about me for the first time in my life. As someone who was always concerned (read: borderline obsessed) with having everyone else's approval, it's a breakthrough that came straight from God. Let me tell you, the freedom is incredible.

I want to encourage everyone reading this in this one way - don't be discouraged. Your mind may be running through how far you feel from God, the laundry list of thou-shalt-nots you've committed, the lack of love you've shown to those around you, the lack of commitment and faithfulness to Him, how you've presented your body in every way but as a "living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God." (Romans 12:1.)

But, I'm living proof God can take what's wrong and make it right. He can restore what's broken with the "glue" that is His grace. All you have to do is surrender. And, when he puts you back together as a new creation, you won't be what you were before. He will have formed you for His purpose - to fulfill Matthew 22:37-40:

"Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."

Some of you may not know much about what God wants for your life, so let me share one of my favorite words of encouragement with you:

"I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." - Jeremiah 29:11
The future I hope for is one in which God is able to use me to love on folks who need His love, share the light of truth with those in darkness, and ignite a passion and fire for Him in a generation of spiritually-starved young people.

He's got the path all planned out. He's my jockey. And, I'm looking forward to the ride.

10 comments:

  1. Susanna,

    My favorite when I'm feeling like I'm straying from what He wants me to do is Psalm 139, specifically verses 23 and 24:

    Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;

    And see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, and we'll look forward to hearing from you as time allows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanna - Beautifully written and oh so true! Keep us updated an what going on in your life (as Smitty says, "when time allows"

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." (2 Cor. 5:17)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanna, I couldnt have said it better myself. (wait, maybe I have been saying this for years.) so thanks for saying here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ironic that when you are on the right path, you don't know where you are going. You just trust He who leads you.
    I'll miss your blogging but you are so right that there are much more important things to do with your life. I will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanna,

    Praise God! As you do have time I do hope to hear those stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've become a totally different person than the girl I met a few months ago and I am so inspired by the difference. (Geez Louise, a tear just fell on my keyboard.) It's awesome to see you increasing your speed as you run to Him. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous19.6.09

    Use your writing and your blog to tell HIS story.....He has given you an audience and a gift.....

    ReplyDelete