5.04.2009

The Dark Side

X-Men Origins: Wolverine producer Ralph Winter in an interview with Patrol Magazine:
"I think more people than we want to admit live on the dark side. I think that, you know, we are misled if we think that being a Christian means your life is going to be peachy; it’s just not going to happen. There are so many stories to tell, there is so much darkness, unfortunately in our lives, as we don’t get along ... That’s why I think stories like that resonate with an audience that struggles with a world that’s not happy and perfect."
Dude. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can so relate right now.

Ironically, even (or should I say "especially"?) in the times when life isn't peachy, God is still showing Himself: "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten." (Rev. 3:19).

The following quote on the subject is from one the best devotions you'll ever read - Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman:
"Affliction does not hit the saint by chance, but by direction. God does not draw His bow at a venture. Every one of His arrows goes upon a special errand and touches no breast but his against whom it was sent. It is not only the grace, but the glory of a believer when we can stand and take affliction quietly."
To take affliction quietly. To realize that great pressure means great power. Those are the keys to triumphing even in the dark side of life. A sentiment echoed in this poem, taken from the same devotion:

"If all my days were sunny, could I say,
'In his fair land He wipes all tears away?'

If I were never weary, could I keep
Close to my heart, 'He gives His loved ones sleep?'

Were no graves mine, might I not come to deem
The Life Eternal but a baseless dream?

My winter, and my tears, and weariness
Even my graves, may be His way to bless.

I call them ills; yet that can surely be
Nothing but love that Shows my Lord to me!"

~ Selected

Winter is right. Life isn't always happy and perfect, but I'm at peace with that because I've seen over and over again that my "God is our refuge and strength, a very present and well-proved help in times of trouble." (Psalm 46:1)

8 comments:

  1. BTW, not to spoil it for you, but one woman who saw it said there's a scene where Hugh Jackman dives into a waterfall. Nude.

    Guess you're going to spend that $8, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert,

    Even for $9 I will be at that if he dives into a waterfall nude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He jumps feet first and it's a side shot -- nothing shows.

    But yes, he goes over a waterfall nude :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, y'all, I thought the quote was kind of deep, and all we can think about is Hugh Jackman nude. Of course, I'm just observing not judging. As they say, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the interesting quote is
    "we are misled if we think that being a Christian means your life is going to be peachy"
    and the conversation revolves around wedding tackle. ;)
    People who think it's all peachy haven't read the Gospels or Job. Or much else that challenged them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. About three items later in the Google Reader was the Big Hollywood review:
    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/mpatterson/2009/05/04/wolverine-are-critics-on-crack/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm going to see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous15.5.09

    Thanks Sue, for the uplifting post. I'm going to share it with your depressed brother in law.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete